Shadow Of Victory

Sunday 7 October 2012

WILLOW CREEK GLOBAL LEADERSHIP SUMMIT

It was that time of year again when our church hosts the Summit and Chris and I always volunteer to be there serving . Each year we do this God impacts our lives in  new...fresh and challenging ways. Several years ago we had the amazing experience of actually going to Chicago and being a part of the live event ...but it is just as new and exciting when seen on the DVD screen.

This year the speakers as usual were a mixture of business and church leaders and I thought I would list some of the "phrases" that I heard that made me stop and think...or impacted me. Being half deaf and relying on lip reading always limits my note taking...as soon as I take my eyes off screen to write I miss the next part of the sentence so I really only write down a phrase that is striking or that immediately seems to resonate with my spirit . ( one day we will have total communication.....subtitles/ sign language interpreters...audio description etc )....I also thought to write about several things that people have either said to me or that I have said to myself over the last 2-3 days..no particular order of importance just as my notes are written.

* Bill Hybels ..( along with Ben D.. is a hero of mine )...repeats his amazing phrase....The Local Church is the Hope of the World.
* 6 x 6 ....Bill talked about planning and preparation ...energy bursts...over a six week period write down six things you want to achieve...do...put into action..over and above the normal "to do " lists.
* When is the "vision" most vulnerable...ie when we make plans ...when do we often want to give up...its usually somewhere in the middle...we have huge bursts of excitement and adrenaline at the beginning of some new venture ...then once its up and running we realise it can be a hard slog....discipline and determination. is so needed to keep us pressing on.
*Condoleeza Rice...spoke so well...I don't understand politics and certainly not American world politics but she spoke from her heart of her time in Washington and the world stage.One quote she made..." every life is capable of greatness "
* William Ury was interviewed by Jim Mellado...about Conflict Negotiation...his quote .."The goal is not just  the elimination of conflict...its to find the place of agreement "
* John Ortberg....he spoke incredibly well...but for me was way too complicated in his thinking...I found it difficult to "get" what he was saying...he used words and phrases that held me hostage in that I really had no idea what they meant so failed to process them well....so will need to think my notes through again.
* Craig Groeschel...( another hero of mine ) spoke on the subject of
  "Bridging the Generation Gap " which was one of the best sessions for me....his phrase..
 "IF YOU ARE NOT DEAD THEN YOU ARE NOT DONE" ...is going to be my life motto for next season. He also said..."If you delegate tasks....you create followers...if you delegate authority you create leaders "....

I missed a couple of sessions as I was counting the offering with Iris....that was so exciting...I had never done this before and I was staggered at peoples generosity...we take up an offering each year to enable leaders from the international community who are unable to finance their own people to come and be a part of the summit...it was also so humbling in that several envelopes had ..eg 2x 50p coins...the widows mite...made Iris and I stop and think for a few seconds that some can give hundreds of pounds and others 2x 50p...but it is all going to make a huge difference in the lives of thousands of people the world over...what was also so amazing is that these 2 x 50p offerings were gift aided...how cool is that !

* The final session on day two was again Bill Hybels...he talked so passionately as he unpacked again "The Local Church is the Hope of the World "...
* Chris and I wrapped up our day by hanging out at a final debrief session with the overseas visitors ending with fish and chip suppers....eaten from the paper with our fingers...introducing people from Latvia and Poland to wooden forks and greasy fingers..vinegar and ketchup.
* During this last hour a man appeared at the door of the building...he walked in and Chris had a chat with him...he shared a hard story of what was going on in his life..so we were able to give him fish and chips and a wee half hour of listening to him and show care and compassion...Chris gave him 20.00 and maybe just a wee bit of hope that all was not lost as he went on his way.

Other seemingly small " moments " that touched my heart and spirit and lifted me out of tiredness and into the realm of sharing time with some amazing friends as we served alongside each other...

*  Lunch on the window ledge having a chat with Frances R...takes me "up in my lift" every time..
* The singing  of Happy Birthday to Sue R the event manager at 7.30am on day two as we had our team briefing...and blew out her candles...( love embarrasing the boss lady )
* A ten minute chat to Jacqui WG who threw into the conversation very casually that her E-Learning company have now had 55,000 people do the courses she has pioneered...Gobsmacking.!
* Listening to my daughter Cat K singing ..keep having to remind myself how talented and gifted she is....
* Hanging out in the crew room with Academy Students..who worked so much harder than me...they are stars.
* Being asked by a visitor..."who is the "girl" on the stage with your Pastor Simon..." .LOL...
the " girl " is of course the amazing Catrina...his wife.
* Finding one of the overseas summit leaders was also called IRENE..we instantly hit it off and kept hugging each other.
* Chatting to Sasha from Macedonia..he shared a little bit of his life with me as he talked about the miracle of his first child when all hope of pregnancy was gone.
* The Academy Line Up at 5.30 pm we summoned up the last shreds of energy for a bit of fun ...and we cheered loads of people out of the building...especially a certain Mrs Iris Joyce who swanned up and down as if she was on the Hollywood Red Carpet no less.! Altho Valentine and Harry with their breakdance moves and cossack dancing were just as crazy.
* I had asked Lee LM if he had any "commentaries " I could borrow for my assignment..he so kindly said...yep in the office...I head up to collect it..only to find it is one of those HUGE books which probably weighs about 10 kilos..I had planned to take on hols on Thursday but hey I only have a 20 kilo luggage allowance...will maybe just photocopy the relevant passages...

Finally....I was up at the crack of dawn yet again to serve for Konstruction Krew.....reminding myself...If I am not dead I am not done...but oh boy was I tired...but as usual...God showed up for over eighty 5-11 year old children...led by our Youth Band ...REVOLUTION..they were just outstanding and seeing the younger children worship once again moved me to tears...

BUT.....I am now weary....and so looking forward to heading to Lanzarote for 12 days with our buddies ..sun  and pool...and my 10 kilo commentary...

REMEMBER... ...IF YOU ARE NOT DEAD ..YOU ARE NOT DONE.

No comments: